The Job of a Professional Interrupter

I am still soaking up all of the gems of advice from the Sales Acceleration Summit I attended last week. One saying has really been present in my mind: "Accept your role as a professional interrupter." How many of you have truly acknowledge that the job of an Inside Sales Professional is the job of an Interrupter. Sure you know it in the back of your mind, but have you really embraced it?


The Sales Professionals that I interact with who are most successful at what they do have fully embraced their role as a professional interrupter. If you believe deeply in the value that you can add to a person's day, life, job, etc with your product then interrupting suddenly doesn't seem like as big of an intrusion. Yes you are interrupting, but you also have a meaningful reason for the call. This got me thinking about all of the "false" objections or brush offs that Inside Sales Professional get at the beginning of phone calls before we've had a chance to depart that value.

Social customs are such that it is much easier for the person who you've cold called to say; "I'm about to run into a meeting this just isn't a good time for this call" or "Why don't you just email me something and I'll let you know if I'm interested" then it is to say "I am familiar with your product and I am certain that I will never purchase from you so don't waste your time following up." A few of you have probably giggled because every once in awhile you do encounter a person who tells it like it is. However, I think we can all agree that the polite replies that leave you with a dial tone and the hope of MAYBE are way worse than just hearing no.

Below are the Top 3 Brush Offs I get and how I think you can handle them with class & professionalism. Use these techniques to avoid wasting time on pipelines who will always be a MAYBE.

BRUSH OFF 1 - I'm just too busy for this call right now.
Answer: I completely understand that your time is available because of that let's quickly make sure it's worth a follow-up call. Like I was saying, ***and then you continue with your impact statement

BRUSH OFF 2I'm not interested.
Answer: I appreciate that you don't think you're interested because you haven't heard about the 700K that we saved company X. I'm calling to see if we can save you even more, like I was saying *** continue with your impact statement

BRUSH OFF 3 - I like things they way they are.
Answer: I get it, but I'm sure you'd agree choosing a strategy that helps you and your company save time & money is worth considering. Just to be clear, you're saying that you are satisfied with the status quo and wouldn't want to even contemplate driving growth through innovation by partnering with us?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Basic Rules...that most people ignore

Recognized as Top B2B Sales Professional on LinkedIn