Volunteering is Selfish--But That's Okay

Since childhood, I’ve been attracted to the idea of giving back, making a difference, being the change you want to see in the world...you get the picture. As a professional, it’s been increasingly important for me to align myself with professional organizations that prioritize giving back as part of their corporate mission.
As I’ve interviewed with and ultimately joined new companies, I’ve been surprised by how few companies incorporate charity & especially volunteerism. Many organizations have a charity component where they donate to X, Y, Z and get a tax break, but giving time and giving money leave most people with a different emotional outcome.
In 2016, I was with British Branding Agency PHMG/. Each year they do a massive holiday toy drive. It’s an absolutely wonderful way to give back to the communities in which we work. For the past six years, I’ve always prided myself on taking the time to buy loads of individual toys and donate them to Toys for Tots. At PHMG/ most employees made a financial contribution so that the company could purchase toys. Frankly, it was easier and we are all strapped for time.
I was selfish. Handing over cash for the company to purchase toys left me with no real emotional satisfaction.
I like going to the store, hand-picking the toys, and picturing the faces of grateful kids tearing open the gifts on Christmas morning. Admittedly, I also love the oohs and aahs from the Walgreens staff as I fill up the entire bin until it’s overflowing.
Yes, of course I volunteer and donate because it’s the “right” thing to do, but I mostly do it because it makes me feel really good about myself. I love leaving the Chicago Children’s Museum after a night of volunteering with the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing I made a difference. I can’t wait for the annual Chicago Collegiate Charter School Benefit when I am showered in praise and thanks for philanthropy - tickets on sale now www.chicagocollegiate.org/benefit/ wink ;).
I stand by my statement. Volunteering is selfish, but that’s OK. In my opinion, hands-on volunteering does more to soothe the soul and improve the spirit than simply making (albeit important) financial donations. It also fulfills a need for recognition and appreciation that is often hard to attain in the office.
Why don’t more companies incorporate volunteerism into their company culture?
We all know the reason. It’s because giving people time off to volunteer or organizing group philanthropic activities takes more effort than writing a check. I contend that the extra effort pays dividends; creating a culture of civic-minded employees who feel good about their contributions to their community.
What charitable giving or volunteer activities does your company partake in? How do you feel that it impacts your personal well-being and the culture of your work environment?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Basic Rules...that most people ignore

The Job of a Professional Interrupter

Recognized as Top B2B Sales Professional on LinkedIn