Overcoming Gatekeeprs



As I stated in a previous post, it is important to keep in mind that gatekeepers are not decision makers. As nice or as helpful as they may be, they can only say no to you--never yes.

That means you should always remain polite and professional when dealing with gatekeepers, but don't give them more information than they need. I have heard many a poor sales person brag all day about the five admins that they just made best friends with and how sure they are that it will help them ultimately reach the decision-maker. I don't buy it and I have never seen it work. Below are a few ways to help you professionally deal with gatekeepers. My next post will lay out tricks of the trade to help circumvent gatekeepers all together!

Remember that gatekeepers can come in a few forms. Most often, you will deal with a direct assistant or departmental admin. However, gatekeepers are sometimes receptionists or colleagues. It is important to distinguish these differences when using the below techniques.

TIPS:
1. Remain vague. Do not give away more information than you absolutely need to.
2. Your tone says more than your words. Sound confident and mirror the behaviour of an executive at whichever level you are calling. Make sure the gatekeepers believes that you should speak to their boss.
3. Maintain control of the conversations by repeating your questions (do not be afraid to repeat yourself).

EXAMPLE CONVERSATIONS:

RECEPTIONIST (remain the most vague)
You: "John Smith please"
Receptionist: "May I let him know who is calling?"
Y: "Leslie Venetz"
R: "May I let him know what the call is regarding?"
Y: "Yes, he will know. Please just let him know that Leslie Venetz is calling. Thank you."

COLLEAGUE (remain vague, but provide slightly more information as the colleague likely isn't as protective as a receptionist or admin, but also cannot make a decision)
You: "I was calling for John Smith. Is he available?"
Colleague: "Yes, can I let him know who is calling?"
Y: "Yes it is Leslie Venetz calling from The Blog."
C: "Is he expecting this call?"
Y: "Its not in his calendar, but you can just let him know that Leslie Venetz is calling. Thank you"
C: "What is the call regarding?"
Y: "I'm sorry, but I am in a bit of a rush. Is John in? Can you please transfer me over? Thank you."'


ASSISTANT (be as specific as you can without giving away control)
You: "Hi, Leslie calling for John"
Assistant: "Hi Leslie. Where are you calling from?"
Y: "It's Leslie, Leslie Venetz from The Blog. Is John available?"
A: "What is the call regarding?"
Y: "It is just a quick follow-up. Is John not in?"
A" "He is, but I don't think he is expecting this call"
Y: "Yeah, nothing is scheduled. I was just trying to catch him between meetings. If he's not around, I'll just take his voice mail. Thanks." (DO NOT ACTUALLY LEAVE A VOICE MAIL)

ASSISTANT
Y: "Hi, Leslie calling for John"
A: "Who is calling?"
Y: "Its Leslie, Leslie Venetz. Is John in?"
A:  "What is the call regarding?"
Y: "I have a quick question for him. Is he available right now?"
A: "He is in a meeting. What is your number and I will have him give you a call back."
Y: "I appreciate that, but I am actually heading back into a meeting as well. When is a better time to call later today/tomorrow morning?"

OR
Y: "I appreciate that, but I will not be available for a call. I might be able to reach him later. What time do you think he will leave the office today? What time does he get in tomorrow?"

OR
Y: "Thank you, but I'd prefer to call back. Do you have access to his calendar? Can you help me schedule a 10 minute window to follow-up this week?"

Those are just a few ideas based on conversations that I've had. Obviously the sentiment behind the exchange is to be vague, but professional. I believe, that is is a better strategy to try and reach the gatekeeper directly before leaving a message with an admin or leaving a voice mail.

If you maintain your professional demeanor during these exchanges with gatekeepers, you will be in a position to continue calling without having to leave a message and give up control of the situation.

GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARDS:
If the gatekeeper is extremely persistent in wanting to know a detailed reason for the call or in collecting your information here are a few quick phrases to get you off the phone before the situation can escalate.

* "Don't worry, I will just reply to his email. Have a nice day"
* "No problem. I will just call his mobile. Thank you."
* "I actually have an outside line coming in so I am going to have to grab that. Thanks for your help."
* "The information is actually proprietary/personal so I need to speak directly with John, but I appreciate your help."
* "My message is a bit lengthy so it will be easier to follow-up next time I have a break between meetings. Thank you though."
* It looks like my meeting is starting up again so I have to run, but I appreciate your time."

I hope that each of you found at least one new technique or phrase that you can apply on the phones to help you reach more decision-makers. Nonetheless, I think the best way to overcome gatekeepers is to completely circumvent them by finding better times to call, getting direct dials or mobile, and a variety of other on-the-phone research techniques that I will introduce post.

As always, if you have any questions or specific situations that you would like to run by me, please do not hesitate to email at coldcallingmastery@gmail.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Job of a Professional Interrupter

Five Basic Rules...that most people ignore

Recognized as Top B2B Sales Professional on LinkedIn